Looking along the fort's northeastern wall. Notice those fifteen holes along the outer wall to the left? That's the only Counterfire Gallery to remain in its original form. Though all four of Fort Macon's Counterfire Galleries looked just like this one when the fort was first built, the other three were altered to allow for cannon in the 1840's. Since this one directly faces the fort itself, it was decided that cannon firing directly into the fort from twenty feet away would be a little hard on the garrison, and it was left unchanged.