To the fort's northwest, outside the Retrenchment, are a number of lovely reconstructed period buildings. This is the Smokehouse. From the sign:

The smoke house was used to cure meats. Colonel Bouquet, the British army deputy commander, ordered these structures built to smoke (preserve) 1,500 cattle in the fall of 1758 for the drive on Fort Duquesne. The smoke houses probably were located in this vicinity near the cattle pen where the museum now stands.